Evening Standard with an interview with the Irish foreign minister
- Paying a bigger divorce bill is not enough to unlock trade talks
- Ireland issue is much bigger than trade
- Ireland has a veto and is prepared to use it
- Ireland has a lot of solidarity around the EU table
The Irish border talks are still a very hot topic and the comments here up the ante somewhat. It only takes one of the EU27 countries to veto any deals or proposals put forward by Barnier and the whole thing stalls.
This is definitely more gamesmanship but there’s going to be a crunch point coming into the Dec EU summit.
The full story from the Evening Standard is here.
Latest posts by Ryan Littlestone (see all)
- Trading update – All go over the central banks - September 19, 2019
- Here’s why I’m starting to build longs in GBP - September 19, 2019
- Is USDJPY back in the long-term range, or sucking us all in ahead of the Fed? - September 18, 2019