December 2017 US Markit manufacturing PMI final 2 January 2018
- Flash 55.0. Nov 53.9
- Employment 55.8 vs 55.7 flash. Nov 54.7. Highest since Sep 2014
- Output 55.9 vs 55.7 flash. Nov 54.5.
That puts the headline number at the highest since Mar 2015.
- Output expands at quickest pace in 11 months, supported by steep increase in total new work
- Rate of job creation fastest since September 2014
- Supply chain delays and increased global demand for inputs pushed costs up further, with the rate of cost inflation remaining sharp overall. Charge inflation, however, softened
- Factory gate charges rose solidly, despite the rate of inflation softening since November
So, some rising wage pressure noted, which will be lapped up by the Fed. Tomorrow is ISM day and the price components there will be the numbers to watch. It could be an early year indicator for the markets appetite for another Fed hike.
The dollar hasn’t done much but it’s gained a few pips around the FX space.
Latest posts by Ryan Littlestone (see all)
- Forex options expiries 22 August 2019 - August 22, 2019
- A trader’s view: MXN – Indices – Metals - August 21, 2019
- Big EURJPY expiry pops up out of nowhere – Forex options expiries 21 August 2019 - August 21, 2019