December 2017 UK retail sales report 19 January 2018
- Prior 1.1%
- 1.4% vs 3.0% exp y/y. Prior 1.5%
- Ex-fuel -1.6% vs -0.8% exp m/m. Prior 1.2%
- 1.3% vs 3.0% exp y/y. Prior 1.5%
- Sales deflator 3.1% vs 3.1% prior y/y
Bigger than expected miss sees the pound fall to 1.3904. I’m going to fade this with a small long here.
- Biggest fall in m/m Retail sales since July 2016
- Weakest Retail Sales growth in December since 2010 which saw a drop of 2%
- Quarterly spending grew by 0.4% although this is the weakest quarterly growth since Q1 2017 which saw a decline of 1.2%
- In non seasonally adjusted terms Christmas spending has shifted from December to November due to Black Friday promotions
- Internet sales accounted for 18% of all sales in December compared to 19.8% in Nov and 17.1% the previous year
That data was also out some seconds before 9.30 too.
- Catch the all new Flow Show starting Monday 16th May - May 13, 2022
- Has the EUR worm turned? - April 21, 2022
- Exclusive – Large natural gas field discovered in France could ease Europe’s dependency on Russian supplies - April 1, 2022