December 2018 UK labour market report and public sector finances 22 January 2019
- Dec claimant count December 2018 20.8k vs 20.0k exp. Prior 21.9k
- Nov ILO unemployment rate 4.0% vs 4.1% exp/prior
- Average weekly earnings 3.4% vs 3.3% exp 3m y/y. Prior 3.3%
- Ex bonus 3.3% vs 3.3% exp 3m y/y. Prior 3.3%
- Employment change 141k vs 85k exp. Prior 79k
Public sector finances December 2018
- PSNB 2.112bn vs 1.050bn exp. Prior 6.345bn. Revised to 6.252
- Ex-banks 2.976bn vs 1.900bn exp. Prior 7.209bn. Revised to 7.116bn
- PSNCR 21.278bn vs 4.371bn prior. Revised to 2.733bn
- Central gov NCR 18.2bn vs 8.4bn prior. Revised to 6.7bn
In the jobs report, wages hold up but we’ve probably seen some of the holiday skew I spoke about before the data as that’s a big jump in employment.
GBPUSD up to 1.2902. A limited move as we were close to here already.
For the borrowing numbers, it’s being noted that higher contributions to the EU accounted for some of the rise.