April 2018 UK retail sales data 24 May 2018
- Prior -1.2%
- 1.4% vs 0.1% exp y/y. Prior 1.1%
- Ex-Fuel 1.3% vs 0.4% exp m/m. Prior -0.5%
- 1.5% vs 0.1% exp y/y. Prior 1.1%
A big snap back and as expected, a bigger jump in ex-fuel sales. As I mentioned, we did see a decent gain in household sales +2.5% vs 1.35 prior) and “other” stores (2.3% vs 1.8% prior) but clothing also picked up as well (+1.3% vs -1.5% prior).
A good solid report.
- Petrol prices reported largest recovery, up 4.7% in April vs -6.9% in March
- Sales volumes 3M/3M rose just 0.1% s/a
- Volume of goods sold over last 6-mths broadly unchanged
- Department stores only major sector to not see rebound in quantity bought
- Online sales grew 17.3% y/y compared to 16.1% a yr-ago